Earlier surgical masks were something that was made from a piece of cloth. But today with the advancement in manufacturing they are made using nonwoven fabrics. Surgical masks are available in different grades depending on what the purpose is.
Why is surgical mask important
Surgical masks prevent germs from passing from an infected person’s mouth and nose to another person. They are also very important as they help to keep the operation rooms sterile.
Surgical masks have become famous and are in huge demand around the world since the coronavirus. They are so much in demand that there is a huge shortage of them. But you don’t have to worry as you can buy black surgical masks on Joom .
There are mainly three types of face masks.
- A cloth face mask
- Surgical mask
- N95 respirator
Surgical masks cover your nose and mouth. They are loose fitted and you can dispose of them after use. The mask is rectangular in shape and has multiple folds of non woven fabric. They also have a strip on the top of the mask which you press on top of your nose to fit the mask properly. These masks usually come with ear loops or threads that you can tie on the back of your head.
Steps to use the surgical mask
- Before wearing the mask, wash and clean your hands with soap.
- Check if there is any hole or if the mask has any tears on them. If you find a hole or tear do not use that mask.
- Put the strip above the mask on your nose and press it over your nose.
- Now loop the bands around your ear or tie them.
- Make sure that the mask is covering your mouth and chin completely.
- After usage of the mask, dispose it in a bin that is closed and wash your hands again. Also, make sure to not touch the mask while removing it.
You should never reuse a surgical mask and always dispose of them after usage. Always make sure to never use a damaged mask. The masks should also be disposed of only in closed garbage bins. You should never come in contact with anyone who has a virus without wearing a mask. A mask is something that you should always wear before coming in contact with anyone who is showing even the slightest symptoms of anything.
Surgical masks are available in many different protection levels. They are mainly:
- Minimum Protection: When you will be wearing a mask for a very short period of time.
- Level 1: These masks have a fluid resistance of 80 mmHg. Mostly worn if there is very low risk of transmission.
- Level 2: These masks have a fluid resistance of 120 mmHg. They are best for protection against light or medium risks.
- Level 3: These masks have a resistance of 160 mmHg. If you are going to be facing heavy exposure to fluids or aerosol then this is the recommended mask for you.
It is always good hygiene to wash your hands before and after wearing a mask. Surgical masks are one of the best barriers that prevent you from catching or spreading hazardous materials to anyone.